IRISH SODA BREAD
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup yogurt or buttermilk (or milk with a little lemon juice added)
- 1 cup currents or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350C.
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Beat honey and buttermilk into beaten egg.
- Add currents to either wet or dry mix.
- Pour wet into dry mix.
- Knead it with hands to work in all the flour — if it’s too dry to hold together, add more buttermilk, if too wet, add more flour.
- Work for a few minutes, or until well incorporated, and shape into flat round loaf.
- Place loaf on oiled or silicone sheet-lined baking sheet – cut two parallel slashes in dough, about 1/2 inch deep.
- Bake bread at 350 for ~35 minutes, until well-browned, and the bottom makes a ‘hollow sound’ when tapped.